B

Home Politics Entertenment Lifestyle Sports Business Health Local World Tech

G




Saturday 19 November 2011

Local Komen affiliate to donate $1.8 million

Now that I am a few days past completing the Susan G. Komen Three-Day for The Cure Walk in Tampa, my mind is finally adjusting to the enormity of the experience. The words that come to mind are amazing, awesome, inspiring and incredible. The “Three-Day” is all of these and so much more.
Many months ago, my daughter, Jennifer, asked me to join a team of walkers from Naples in support of finding a cure for breast cancer. The easy part of this journey was telling her I would walk with them — and then came the training. For three months, I committed myself to an ambitious schedule of walks: three miles, then five, 10, 15, until the day came in late October when we all met in Tampa to continue our journey.
First, I must tell you that I did complete the 60-mile walk and am very proud of it. Yes, I did it and celebrate my accomplishment. And while some were able to walk all of the distance and some were not, the number of miles is not really the focus. I personally raised more than $2,500 with the support of family and friends. Our team and the more than 2,000 participants not only raised awareness, but in excess of $4 million for breast cancer research to find a cure and save lives. Hopefully these might be the dollars that push us over the edge and make events like the Three-Day unnecessary. That’s what it is really about: raising money and saving lives, because everybody deserves a lifetime.
On a personal note, I met so many amazing people over the weekend. There were the survivors, the family members and friends that walked for those stricken with this horrible disease. Everyone had stories and readily shared with us all.
I walked for my beautiful sister who was taken from us at age 41. She was young and ambitious, a wonderful wife and mother of two children. I also walked for my mother-in-law who was diagnosed at age 50, and all other people who have been touched by breast cancer.


Also: Pittsburgh affiliate of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation will donate $1.8 million to local organizations in 2012 to fight breast cancer.


This is the largest amount ever, and the seventh consecutive year in which the Pittsburgh affiliate has donated more than $1 million, said Kathy Purcell, executive director.


Much of the money will go to Adagio Health to help fund its Mammogram Voucher Program, which provides free mammograms and follow up services to women. Other grants will support breast education, screening and treatment in 30 counties in central and Western Pennsylvania.


Susan G. Komen died of breast cancer at the age of 36 after nine surgeries and three courses of chemotherapy and radiation.


Her sister, Ambassador Nancy Brinker started Susan G. Komen for the Cure in 1983. It's now the world's largest breast cancer organization. The Pittsburgh affiliate was founded in 1993.


The principal fundraising event is the Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure, a 5K race. Registration is now open for the 2012 race, which will be held in Schenley Park on May 13.


The registration fee is $10. To register, visit www.komenpittsburgh.org/komen-race-for-the-cure.


Tags: 2 new breast cancer drugs,  Breast cancer patientsBone drug breast cancer,

No comments:

Post a Comment